Are there children in your setting with any of these difficulties:
Late talker or using very few words
Difficulty talking in sentences
Difficulty following instructions
Poor listening and attention skills
Behind other children their age with their communication and language skills
Unable to say their own name clearly
Has a stammer/stutter
It's a short course with just over 3 hours of video time, all pre-recorded and ready to access straight away.
It's online so you can do it any time, on any device.
It's available all the time so you don't have to wait for a set time or date.
You can re-visit the course time and time again, with unlimited access.
You can download the BONUS documents and save them to your shared drive.
You'll gain specialist skills from the course content, created by a Highly Specialist Speech and Language Therapist.
You can follow this course at your pace and add these specialist skills to your CV.
You'll get a certificate upon completion.
You will have a better understanding of the language development milestones for different ages in Early Years.
You will feel confident to identify reasons and opportunities for your children to communicate in your setting.
You’ll have learnt more about language delay, speech sound difficulties and stammering, as well as specific strategies to support needs in these areas.
You will be able to use the strategies and activities from this course with your current children and in the future with other children.
You will be able to help the children you work with to make progress.
Your setting will be able to boast skilled members of staff who are confident to work with children who have speech & language difficulties.
You’ll have a bank of games and activities to make your day super fun!
There are 4 modules with pre-recorded videos, some are presentations with more theory and informatin, others are video demonstrations of some fun games and activities.
- Theory & terminology on ‘speech & language’ ‘Communication & Language’, ‘SLCN’.
- Different areas of speech & language, including A&L, understanding, talking, social skills, speech sounds & stammering.
- Typical S&L milestones for different ages, from 9 months to 6 years.
- Red flags for you to look out for & indications from me of when to refer to SALT.
- Looking at different means of communication.
- Understanding reasons and supporting opportunities for communication in your setting, as well as supporting this for your children at home too.
- Strategies (28 in total) to support the children in your setting who have difficulty with understanding, talking, speech sounds and stammering.
- Case studies of children I’ve worked with who have had:
- Delayed language skills
- Late talker
- Speech sound difficulties
- We look at their presenting problems/issues, some background information, the speech & language targets and programmes I wrote for them.
- None of these children required therapy sessions with me, they all needed to work on their targets at home and at preschool/nursery- in this module I show you what that looks like.
Activities and games to support language development in your setting.
- There are 15 games/activities in total in this module.
- I show you my top 5 go-to games for intervention sessions, as well as how to alter the activity to suit the language needs, ages, interests and motivations of the children you’re working with.
- Some of these games and activities can be done daily. They can also be incorporated into weekly programmes, across a half term or whole term.
- These games can be done:
- 1:1 with a child
- In small groups of up to 4 children
- Whole-class/group sessions i.e. during carpet time/circle time, or included as part of your continuous provision.
- These activities are not restricted to those who need Speech and Language needs and can be played with more able children who can act as a language model for their peers.
There are 6 downloadable PDF documents, including
- a typical milestones checklist to help practitioners monitor the S&L development of the children in the setting and reassurance on when to refer to SALT.
- A questions audit tool to help you identify the means, reasons and opportunities for children to communicate in your setting.
- Strategies for you and the staff in your setting to use to support children's:
- Understanding skills
- Talking skills
- Speech sound skills
- Stammering skills
This was a fantastic course, really informative and helpful with some great ideas to take back to the setting and to our families.
This was a fantastic course, really informative and helpful with some great ideas to take back to the setting and to our families.Read Less
Lots of information and can all be done in a large or small group setting. Parents would also benefit from doing the course too i think.
Lots of information and can all be done in a large or small group setting. Parents would also benefit from doing the course too i think.Read Less
Wonderful videos and slides, i found the case studies very formative. Looking forward to trying some new games. An absolute must watch for anyone in early ye...Read More
Wonderful videos and slides, i found the case studies very formative. Looking forward to trying some new games. An absolute must watch for anyone in early years.Read Less
Loved the course. Many of the activities we do on a daily basis which is good to know we are on the right track in promoting early language development. The...Read More
Loved the course. Many of the activities we do on a daily basis which is good to know we are on the right track in promoting early language development. There are also some new activities I’m excited to try out this week and cascade the ideas to our team.Thank youRead Less
Thank you for some amazing yet simple ideas that I will certainly be using
Thank you for some amazing yet simple ideas that I will certainly be usingRead Less
Absolutely loved this course , really enjoyable and informative, can't wait to implement it with my key children. 😀
Absolutely loved this course , really enjoyable and informative, can't wait to implement it with my key children. 😀Read Less
My role is to train and support education staff who work with children with speech, language and communication needs in schools.
I'm a fun and creative Speech and Language Therapist with lots of ideas to help children develop their communication skills.
I have years and years of experience and working with children and young adults in a range of settings including schools, preschools and clinics. I’ve worked with lots of wonderful practitioners and staff in schools and preschools throughout my career, and I've provided a lot of information, advice, training and support for a variety of Speech and Language topics.
As well as training education staff, I also deliver seminars as a guest lecturer to Speech and Language Therapy Students at the University of Essex. These cover a range of topics, including service provision, speech sounds, stammering, vocabulary and word finding, assessment and intervention.
I work as an Independent Specialist Speech and Language Therapist through my own local service where I see children in schools in Mid Essex and in my clinic. I have a master’s degree in Health and Human Sciences, qualifying as a Speech & Language Therapist in 2009. My undergraduate degree is in Linguistics and Spanish.
I’m registered with the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists, the Health and Care Professionals Council and the Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice.
I'm a mum of 2 and my children have helped me make some of these demonstration videos. As you will see, they each have their own personalities and characteristics.
As a result of my training sessions, dozens of Teachers, Teaching Assistants and Preschool Practitioners have felt empowered to help their students with their speech and language targets.
With The Speech and Language Garden, I hope to give you some valuable ideas and resources to help educate you and support the children you work with. I want to empower Teachers, Assistants and SENCos to deliver effective and fun interventions by providing information, advice, training and demonstrations.